The Global Literacy Project, Inc.
The Global Literacy Project, Inc. is a non-profit organization that fosters community-based learning initiatives throughout the world by bringing together individuals, institutions and communities to share educational materials and global knowledge and by providing service learning opportunities for students in the USA and abroad.
The Global Literacy Project, Inc. (GLP) envisions a world where people work together across borders to share resources and solve global problems. GLP is committed to helping people become literate so that they can both negotiate the practical demands of survival and the abstract world of ideas and science. In a given High Literacy Cluster (HLC), our success will be measured by individuals experiencing a shift of consciousness that dramatically and permanently alters their way of being in the world.
- Individuals should have the ability to access their own rich cultural, literary and historical traditions, as well as those of others.
- Literacy opens doors to fields of specialized knowledge, such as the sciences, public health, engineering and technology.
- Human beings must begin to share knowledge, resources, and experiences with each other generously.
- Service learning and participation in joint activities are the keys to creating new understandings between the developed and developing worlds.
- Literacy empowers historically disadvantaged groups, e.g. women, the poor, the oppressed.
- Collect, sort, ship and distribute literacy materials (primarily books) for Africa, Asia (South India) and the Caribbean.
- Conduct educational and service learning programs aimed at improving knowledge, enhancing global awareness and developing skills in the USA and abroad.
- Maintain and deepen relationships with existing recipient locations and partner schools and institutions.
- Increase public awareness of literacy issues.
- Assure development of a responsive and efficient organization.